Friday, November 23, 2012

25 before 25


    So my 24th birthday is rapidly approaching. (Less than two weeks to get something in the mail to me friends! :P) I realized that this is the first birthday I won't be spending with my parents at least in some capacity. I have had less than spectacular birthdays the past several years, but I always had a nice time with my parents even if I didn't have a great time with my friends. I really want to try to have a nice birthday here if possible.

    Turning 24 in Arkansas also got me thinking about was what goals I want to set for myself. It's a trend in the blogosphere to make a list of 25 goals before your 25th birthday. Generally the goals should be able to be more or less reasonably accomplished in a years time. I know I won't check off all the things on this list, but I think taking the time to reflect on some things I want and laying this map will help set me on the right course. These are in no particular order of importance.



1. Move to NYC and audition like a beast- I think the number one thing holding me back from moving to NYC was fear. I called it other names of course, saving money, getting more experience...blah blah blah. I'm (will be) 24 and I have to get busy trying or get busy doing something else with my life. And I'm not ready to give up without a good long fight.

2. Record with a band/musician - I have always wanted to record some songs with my brother, but so far that hasn't happened yet. I'd really like to see how my voice would sound singing something other than musical theater. Who knows, maybe I will write something with someone!

3. Make a Reel- I don't feel like I have enough good footage of myself singing. So I need to find some more opportunities to sing and tape myself! Then I gotta quit being so lazy and figure out how to edit it all together and put it on the youtubes!

4. Make a Website - This and making a reel are actor must haves and I really need to get on the ball asap!!

5. Ride A Horse - I have never done it and I want to so badly!!

6. Get a tattoo

7. Do another cabaret

8. Get another piercing

9. Land a role. - Like... a real role. I've pretty much been a career ensemble member up to this point. And I feel like I am really good at it and am so lucky to have worked as much as I have. I can support the lead characters and tell the story and I have a great time doing it. But I really want to stretch myself and land a lead in something. I don't feel like I've really had the chance to prove that I am an actress capable of playing some of the great roles since I have hardly played any characters with names at all. Just something I have never really had a chance to do and I know I can do it.

10. Try Moonshine - I mean, I'm in the south!

11. Write more - I really enjoy writing in this blog, however simple and unimportant it might be. It would be really great if I could write a play or a short story in the upcoming year.

12. Explore the West Coast - I have never been and some of my best friends are out there. I want an excuse to go there!!

13. Learn to play guitar and bass

14. Learn to not suck at piano

15. Teach someone something- I am afraid/intimidated to teach my own class here at work. But I really REALLY want to try and see if I can teach these kids something I know and love. I think it'd be super rewarding.

16. Apply to grad school - I think this is something I really want to do.

17. Touch a Great White Shark - Yes, I realize I might not accomplish this one this year but it has been on all my life lists so far so I gotta put it here for posterity. (I also lied about these being in no particular order of importance. This is always numero uno.)

18. Get new headshots

19. Learn a new hobby- something crafty! knitting? Something to put on my resume would be awesome.

20. Let go of some baggage I've been carrying along

21. Pay off lots of debt

22. Fall in love (again) - I think it's very hard to be an actor and able to maintain a committed, stable relationship. If you're working the regional circuit, you are out of town for months at a time, in my instance almost a year. I know people do it all the time, but I feel like I am pretty guarded when it comes to relationships nowadays. I'm not saying I need a boyfriend this year...far from it. I just want to be able to open up to the right person if they come along, and maybe I can take steps this year to do that.

23. Change my hair - So hard to do as an actor because it's kind of risky. But I have always wanted to drastically change my hair...maybe go red or brunette. I don't know if I will have the guts to do it but its something that I've been ruminating about for a looong time.

24. Get into a good exercise/warmup/yoga routine

25. Build up my dance skills- This means get back in the studio and work my butt off.






1 comment:

  1. I can knit and whittle and tie knots. I can theach you these hobbies if you like. NYC is a much more manageable trip than Arkansas! I also owe you a coffee date ;)

    ReplyDelete