Saturday, September 1, 2012

Once You Climb Up A Mountain...


So my second week in Little Rock has been pretty...er..."rocky" to say the least. Sunday was our first annual 'Equity drinking night' where we gathered together to celebrate our first week and have good drinks and good company. I made some chicken fingers that turned out yummy, Aleigha made some awesome cheese spread and Jillian made some thoroughly delicious cinnamon bun cupcakes.

Monday was spent thrifting around Little Rock with Aleigha. I ended up finding this painting by William Holbrook Beard called "The Bear Dance"



I spent $8 for a framed canvas reproduction that goes for around $200 online. Ba-zinga!

Thrifting is fun for me because I enjoy hunting through garbage in the hopes that maybe you will find one object, be it a sweater, a dress, a teacup or a piece of art that makes your heart lurch out of your chest. This painting reminds me of a friend from home, so it is worth the $8 to look at it every day and think of him.



Those of you who know me know a few things about me. 1. I am an actress. 2. I am sometimes (a little) dramatic. and 3. I am a crazy dog lady. These are my babies whom I miss very dearly.

Daisy, staring dreamily into my eyes.

Beasley, deciding if he likes me enough to kiss me.






Aren't they the most precious beings alive? Well, I have always gotten along really well with dogs (even mean ones) so I very ignorantly tried to make friends with this little guy who lives upstairs:




After his owner assured me he wouldn't hurt me and told me to stick out the back of my hand towards him "Bullet" jumped up and took me completely by surprise by biting me on my hand. I was so stunned for the rest of the day. How can a dog not like me? I firmly believe that there are no such things as bad dogs, just bad owners, but man meeting Bullet gave me kind of a crisis of faith. What kind of world do I live in if dogs aren't all nice?? Bullet may not have broken my skin, but he sure did break my heart. :_(


On a very different note I have been cooking more than I ever have in my life! I am pretty proud of myself, seeing as I have very little domestic talent. So far I have made:

Grilled Portobello Parmesan Sandwich
(2) Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sammies
Roasted Red Pepper and Chicken Sandwich with Provolone and Mozzarella
Pasta with Vodka Sauce

It seems small now that I've listed it but honestly I rarely cooked at home. I made due with peanut butter sandwiches, cereal, and take out. Now that I'm financially responsible for my food I really can't afford, both fiscally and healthily(?) to eat out so much. Hoping to do this more in the future.

On Tuesday I went for a bike ride to the farmers market not too far from my apartment. I lost control of the bike and fell off of it, landing pretty hard on my legs/knee. So in less than 24 hours I had managed to be bit by a dog and eat pavement pretty hard. Awesome! Welcome to Little Rock!!


Here is my boo boo. Below is what my mom put in my first aid kit in lieu of first aid ointment. Thanks Mom!






Wednesday the other company actors and I ventured off to climb one of the only mountains in central Arkansas, Pinnacle Mountain. I was told that this was a small mountain, more of a "hill", so I wasn't too worried about the climb being too physically taxing. I WAS VERY WRONG. This absolutely was a fricken mountain! I was breathless so quickly and felt stupid as my friends skipped up the mountain. Many times I curled up on a boulder (Yes, we were crawling up boulders. What kind of hill has boulders I ask you???) and told the others to just leave me behind and catch me on their way back down. They wouldn't let me so I begrudgingly continued up the mountain. FOR AN HOUR. AT 80 DEGREES. UP ROCKS. Finally we reached the top and everyone asked me if I felt like it was worth it. Honestly? I probably won't do it ever again. But it was a really good lesson in sticking things out even if they aren't ideal and finding whatever positive you can in a less-than-perfect situation. I challenged myself and won. And once you climb up a mountain, you can't back down. For one thing, you should watch where you're going or you will most likely fall onto something very sharp.
Fozzie's face up the mountain.
My face up the mountain. Often accompanied by me muttering obscenities.
Note the bandaged knee.



       




Next post I am hoping to talk about how bad I am at being poor. (And how I'm getting better at it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment